Accessibility Options

Contact Information

Center for Disabilities Studies
University of Delaware
461 Wyoming Road
Newark DE 19716
Phone: 302-831-6974
TDD: 302-831-4689

Finding a new provider

It is sometimes difficult to find healthcare providers who have experience with disabilities. Individuals and their families will benefit from finding specialists for specific conditions. These specialists may not always be available in Delaware. Many families travel to nearby states for medical care. One of those places in Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore.

Finding a new adult care provider can be complicated. Got Transition is the new National Health Care Transition Center supported by a cooperative agreement between the US Maternal and Child Health Bureau/HRSA and the Center for Medical Home Improvement (CMHI) at Crotched Mountain Foundation. Visit the site at

If you have physical disabilities you will need to check on the accessibility of the adult physicians you are considering.

  • Does the exterior entrance to the building have power/automatic doors? (if not, how do they accommodate individuals needing help entering the building?)
  • Does the interior entrance to the office have power/automatic doors?
  • Do they have accessible parking spaces in front of the building?
  • Are the restrooms in the building/practice wheelchair accessible?
  • Can a person using a wheelchair navigate in the office safely and comfortably?
  • Are there any restrictions in the office regarding the presence of service animals?
  • Are the doorways to the building and office at least 32” wide?
  • If the practice is on the second floor or above, is there an elevator available for access to the practice?
  • Does the reception desk have a counter area no more than 36” above the floor?
  • Does the office have a way to weigh you if you are unable to stand?
  • Does the office have a lift available to transfer patients onto an exam table?
  • Are the exam tables adjustable? (do they go up and down)

You may also need accommodations if you have a visual or hearing impairment. When you call the office for the first time, share information about any accommodations that you will need.  Some examples may be:

  • Materials in alternate formats (large print, Braille)
  • Supplying a sign language interpreter at their expense
  • Use of the language line or language interpreters